Ukan/Edun Remote Past (single object)
37. Ukan/Edun Past 1
- Just like with Izan, another form of ukan/edun is used with the remote past (actions done prior to current day).
Ukan/Edun Remote past
- Perfect Stem + past of “to have/UKAN”
- Nik euskaraz hitz egin nengoen atzo.
- I spoke Basque yesterday.
- The remote past is the time period prior to the day of speaking.
Forming Ukan/Edun past form
Note that the past is formed with:
a prefix of n-, zen-, z-, gen-, zen-, z-
- stem of u/itu (single/plural object)
- suffix of -en, -en. -en. -en, -zten, -zten
nuen, zenuen, zuen, genuen, zenuten, zuten
nituen, zenituen, zituen, genituen, zenituzten, zituzten
Ukan/Edun Remote Past Single Object
- Nik nuen: I had it
- Zuk zenuen: You had it
- Hark zuen: He/she/it had it
- Guk genuen: We had it
- Zuek zenuten: You (plural) had it
- Haiek zuten: They had it
- Azken astean: Last week