If you ever go hiking in the Basque Country, such as on the Camino del Norte, expect to often receive a cheerful "Kaixo" as you trek through the stunningly beautiful scenery.
Vocabulary Greetings 1
- Arratsalde on: Good Afternoon (12:00 to 20:00)
- Barkatu: Excuse me/Sorry
- Egun on: Good morning (morning to 12)
- Eskerrik asko: Thank you ("many thanks")
- Ondo: Fine, Well
- Bai: Yes
- Zer moduz?: How are you? (literally just "how?")
- nago: I am (egon)
- In response to Zer moduz? you chould just say ondo, but might be considered a bit rude
- Better to give a complete sentence "Ni ondo nago."
- Nago means "I am" like naiz, but is only used for temporary things.
- The egon case will be discussed in Unit 9. So for now just remember to use it when responding to Zer Moduz.
- unless you are feeling terrible, and then you can answer with a response to be taught later. :-)